The Montucky Review is now accepting submissions of poetry based on a theme. Please send ONE POEM using the following quote as the theme:
"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian.”--Dennis Wholey
The rules are as follows:
1. If you use obvious key words from the quote, or quote the quote itself, you will be disqualified.
2. No epic drama sagas - maximum of 20 lines please. Remember, here at TMR we like it short and punchy!
3. Do not use the author's name in your poem.
4. Use the sentiment or your interpretation of the meaning of the quote in your original poem.
5. Do not write about bovine or vegetarianism.
6. We will publish the selected poem(s) in November, but submissions will not be accepted after 10/31.
7. If you do not receive a reply from us your work has not been chosen. Please do not query. ***NOTE: We will be notifying those whose work makes the initial cut that they are in the running. That doesn't mean the poem will ultimately be chosen, it simply means you've survived the initial cut. As previously stated a winner/winners will be formally notified no later than 11/10.
8. In the subject line of your e-mailed submission please write "Submission-Quote Theme."
9. We will choose the poems that we feel best capture the sentiment of the quote for publication.
We look forward to reading your work!